Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Book Review - The Summer of Bad Ideas, by Kiera Stewart

Summer Reading + Wyoming Skies =
The Perfect Combination!


     I'd been looking forward to reading Kiera Stewart's new release about a girl trying to reinvent herself over summer vacation - but I will admit that I purposely held off so I could read it on my own summer trip. And I can tell you, reading a book about humid Florida summers is quite refreshing when you're in a Yellowstone snowstorm in the middle of June!  

     This middle grades read captures the essence of the age level perfectly.  Edith is a 12 year old girl whose world is turned upside down when her only friend ditches her for someone less... boring.  At the same time, Edith's estranged grandmother, Petunia, dies unexpectedly.  Edith's family must travel to Florida to clean out Petunia's house.  Edith is left with the realization that her life is more boring than she thought... until she arrives in Florida to find that not only was Petunia some kind of Reptile Whisperer, but that Edith's got a cousin her own age who is anything but boring.

     While cleaning their grandmother's house, the cousins find a list that Petunia had written when she was a teen - a carpe diem list of ideas to have a fabulous summer.  Edith takes it to heart, embarking on a quest to complete Petunia's list.  What follows is a highly entertaining, often funny tale of crazy ideas, new friendships, and Edith's ultimate understanding that she doesn't need to let her fears control her.  

     I absolutely loved this book, and didn't want to put it down.  I loved how it describes the insecurities and lack of social skills that so often plague girls of this age.  It reminded me of summer adventures I spent with my own cousins at this age, and of a summer in which I, too, made a list that was intended to define myself as a person.  I think Edith's emotions and reactions in this book are spot on, and I was inspired by the growth she makes during the course of the book.  

     I would recommend the book to any girl in 5th grade or higher.  I'm definitely giving a Book Talk on this book during the first week of school this year! 




No comments:

Post a Comment